Short Term Rentals
Short Term Rental FAQ’s
What is a Short Term Rental (STR)?
A short term rental is a dwelling unit that is rented, leased or otherwise assigned for a tenancy of less than 30 consecutive days.
Where can I have a STR?
Where residential dwelling units are allowed, and in the RS, R-1F, RPD, SR-1, SR-2, SR-3, UR-1, UR-2 and UR-3 zoning districts, a STR unit is allowed as a conditional use. In the Main Street Overlay District, STR is considered principally permitted. All conditions and requirements for a STR must be met and appropriate permits obtained.
Please note, to receive a Conditional Use Permit (CUP), applicants must apply through the Boone County Planning Commission. STR applications will not be approved until a CUP has been issued by the Boone County Planning Commission.
STR are allowed in:
- Most structures established as dwelling units.
STR are not allowed in:
- RV’s, tents, garages, boats, and other space that not considered dwelling units.
- Dwellings in commercial or industrial buildings.
- All STR are required to apply for and obtain a STR permit.
- A separate STR permit is required for each short-term rental property.
- All STR permits are granted solely to the applicant at the address for which the permit is issued and shall not be transferable to any other person or legal entity.
- Properties must be covered by a minimum of $1,000,000 in liability insurance (some hosting platforms provide insurance for you, others do not).
- Pay the permit fee ($500).
- All STR are required to have inspections and permits as required to occupy a dwelling unit.
- STR regulations do not supersede lease agreements, homeowner’s association bylaws, covenants, deed restrictions, or any other agreement, law or regulation that prohibits subletting or use of your dwelling as a short term rental.
STR Spacing Requirements:
- A minimum distance of 1,000 feet between STR must be maintained within all areas approved by Conditional Use Permits. This requirement does not apply in the Main Street Overlay District where no minimum spacing requirement is required.
How many people can occupy a STR?
The number of occupants in a STR unit shall not exceed the sum of two (2) people per bedroom plus two (2) additional people. For example, a 2-bedroom home could be rented to a party of up to 6 guests.
All STR owners must agree to the following conditions:
- All STR must provide onsite parking to guests.
- Operations must prevent unreasonable disturbances to nearby residents.
- No change in outside appearance of building or premise that indicates the site is a STR (i.e. signs indicating STR, banners, etc.)
- Local contact person must be available 24 hours/day.
- Each short-term rental unit shall have a clearly visible notice posted within the unit that includes the following:
Contact information for the property management; The City STR Permit number; Contact information for emergencies; Location of fire extinguishers and fire escape routes; The maximum number of people in terms of permitted sleeping occupancy; The maximum number of persons permitted in the unit at any one (1) time; The location for parking vehicles and the maximum number of parked vehicles permitted for the unit; Alternative parking locations for extra vehicles; Requirements for smoking; Method and timing of trash disposal; Notice to keep noise to a minimum between 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.; [and] Policy regarding pets.
- Events, such as concerts and wedding events are prohibited.
- It is unlawful for any Responsible Part to offer for Rent a STR or to operate a STR without a City permit.
- It is unlawful for the Owner, Occupant or guest to knowingly and willfully violate any provision of the STR ordinance.
- City of Florence, KY STR Ordinance
- Short Term Rental Application
- Short Term Rental Renewal Application
- Short Term Rental Check List
For additional questions, please contact 859-647-5413